- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil in a cast iron skillet (medium high) and sear chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and set aside on a platter.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan and saute the onion until soft, about 3 minutes or so. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring, then add the carrot, peppers, mushrooms, and herbs.
- Saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Pour in the wine and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, cooking until the wine is reduced (about 2 minutes).
- Add the crushed tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, tomato paste and red chili flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste, and return chicken thighs to the skillet, mixing all of the ingredients together.
- Cover with a lid, and simmer for 40 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Add the olives and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve. (You can serve over rice, mashed potatoes or cauliflower, or pasta, if desired).
Fantastic with our 2019 Sangiovese – mama mia!